Thursday, August 1, 2013

A Day with the Fairy Queen

I paced before the gate to the gardens. The Queen of the Fay people herself was to meet me there. I paused to peer over the gate. Inside, little babies slept nestled inside cabbage plants. I'd say they were adorable, but... there sleep was too sound. A sense of dread filled me like nothing would wake them. Suddenly, the woman I was waiting for appeared behind me.
"I see you care for the children."
I turned to see the Queen of the Fay. She shimmered in a dress made of wild water's foam, pink crystals, and bubbles. Her voice was ethereal and soothing, and her very presence radiated warmth and goodness. My response to her got caught in my throat. I stood before her soundlessly mouthing words, like a fish on land.
"Do not fear me. We are peers you and I." She cooed.
"I'm overwhelmed. You look like a dream, like a memory from my childhood." I stammered.
"It is right for you to think so. I care for all children. That is why I enchanted the wee babes. A queen is to protect the children, and not use them for political gain." She said firmly.
"I had no direct part in what happened that night. That doesn't absolve my guilt, but it is the truth. I will do everything in my power to set things right." I said earnestly.
She lowered her eyes. I saw flecks of sparkles on her long lashes. Her thoughts seemed to take her far away from me.
"I believe you believe that, but that simply is not true." She whispered.
"It is true!" I implored. "I had no desire for any of people to come to any harm. I will do whatever it takes to succeed."
Her eyes flashed up at me.
"Put Jubal back in the dungeon, and throw away the key." She commanded.
Anguish filled me. I never ordered his release. (I didn't know how.) How was I to put him back? Jubal himself claimed it was impossible, and he was my sole source of knowledge. I choked back tears as I said, "I would if I could."
"Then the children shall sleep. I'd enchant every child in your country. If I had the authority to do so. I am full of sorrow for you. There is no hope for this world if you cannot come to your senses."
With those words, the Queen vanished. Leaving me alone with my anguish and shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment