Thursday, June 27, 2013

Clean Day

Out of the depths of the castle came Jubal. His black coat gleamed in the brightly lit castle. He strutted the halls, and where ever he went ghosts revealed themselves. There was no hiding from him. He showed me around the castle. Any question I had, he freely gave me answers. I found he wasn't so scary. Where ever we went he carried a silver chalice filled with purple wine. He drank and drank it, but he never got drunk and he never ran out.
"Trust me little Princess. I can handle the diplomatic situation. War in this world is just a bunch of yelling. No one ever dies here. War is just plain silly."
"That's right. No one does die here. In war how do they discern a winner?"
"War is never about death. It's about will. Who has the will to win? How much are they willing to sacrifice to achieve that end? Do you have the will to win, little Princess?"
"I don't know. I've never done anything like this before."
"So you haven't. You were always a coward. So frightened of me that you couldn't sleep. Couldn't run. You couldn't even cry out to your parents to save you." Jubal leered over me. He smiled. "Then again I never did hurt you did I? What I did do was teach you a lesson about how capable I am at breaking other's wills. Trust me, when I am in command of the army no will shall be stronger than mine."
"Your place is to advise me. You're not to be the head of the army." I argued.
"Grayson told you that. Must you always do what your servant tells you to do?"
"He knows this place better than I do."
"Ah, yes, but I know it better than him. I can tell you the name of every creature in this world. I can show you every secret passage. I know every weakness, strength, and quirk of this world. I can tell you personal details about other's lives. Grayson can show you how to polish silver." He raised up his wine. "But all this is just words. I can show you." He said pouring out his wine upon the ground.
Below us ghosts appeared soaking up the wine in sponges. They trembled at Jubal's feet, but they were determined to do their duty and keep the castle clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment