Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A Fresh New Day

I awoke after less than a handful of hours. I told my ladies I needed to be awake no later than eight. Today their hair was yellow-gold, and their dresses off white. They dressed me in a backless dress in case I wanted to take flight. I ate a breakfast of fruit, and I questioned my ladies once more.
"You're not ghost servants, like Mr. Gray. You're quite solid, and yet there is something magical about you three. You really have no idea of your names?"
"We are whoever you need us to be. We are here to look after you." Explains the oldest one again.
"Who is it that always takes care of me?" I wonder out loud.
I gaze into the newly placed full length mirror. Mr. Gray had it sent up for me. The ladies did an excellent job dressing me. It's like they know me better than I know myself.
I decided that I would do research in the library that day. Mr. Gray had informed me that the previous Queen's journals, and all the information that the world had to offer was kept there. Sadly, the Library had no cataloguing system. I spent hours combing through titles. Eventually, I had enough and cried, "Is there a librarian in the house?"
Immediately one appeared. She was a little silvery woman. Her hair hung down just below her chin and hugged her face. She held several small books close to her chest, hidden behind her arms. She hovered next to me. Waiting for me to speak.
"Can you help me find the previous Queen's journals? Oh and forgive me for barking out orders. All this weirdness and pressure gets the best of my manners. What's your name? Please have one."
"I am Minkyoung. I am the greatest Librarian that ever lived."
I perceived her clothes. They were 20th century at least. She must have died fairly recently.
"A contemporary woman has beat out all the elderly men that have ever existed."
She smiles. The silver glints around her lips.
"I did replace an elderly Polish man. He was brilliant, and bowed out gracefully. He still works here of course, but he no longer is summoned."
"So I only get the best that ever lived? Why, because I am the Queen?"
"In part. We serve the Queen to honor us. Not you. It is our reward. This is our after life. We served so well in life that we get to do it in death."
"You never wanted to be anything other than a Librarian?"
"I.... I don't know. When we die, we are stripped down. We lose certain qualities about ourselves. Like for instance, I believe I used to have black hair and olive skin. Now I am this. Merely, a shade of what I once was."
"I'm so sorry."
"Don't be. I am happy. I have the best books in the world, and now I have someone alive to read them."
Somehow, finding out about my predecessors seemed less urgent. Minnkyoung was more willing to talk about personal issues than Mr. Gray. How often does one get to talk to a person who is dead?
"What's it like to die? Does it hurt?"
She sways, like a buoy in the sea.
"I don't have any personal knowledge."
"But you said that at death you were stripped down. Can you tell me what that is like?"
"No. I can't remember. I learned about what happens to Ghosts in these books. It was like learning about being a baby in the womb. I believe it happened, but I have no memory. Your majesty will do well to study here. You'll learn what you need to know."

No comments:

Post a Comment