Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Not an Average School Day

It was just another day at college. The student body had assembled together to learn about new student fees. It was an easy place to drift off into a daydream. Ever since I was a child, I've been afraid of a cloaked figure in black. I used to believe he wanted to snatch me out of my room at night. As I sat among my peers, I saw that man again. He wasn't in a cloak, but I knew it was him. He walked among the students to the front of the room. Obviously, I was day dreaming. None of the students acted like they saw this stranger all in black, but why did it feel so real? Mentally, I tried to erase him, but he did not leave my sight. He walked up on the platform where the academic dean stood commenting on the stragglers coming in. The man eyed the dean and then me. Fear swept over me. I gasped so loud I was afraid the whole student body heard, but they didn't. Everyone around me has gasped too. They could see him! He had appeared to them out of thin air! There was some confusion followed by thunderous applause, as the man in black theatrically bowed. I felt my face grow white hot. He was just a magician. I must have seen through his trick. He wasn't a dream at all. The Dean of Students attempted to shoo the man off the platform when the unthinkable happened. Leather clad, machete wielding, men marched in through all the doors to the aid of the man in black. No one was going to take him from that stage. He owned it. It was his. He took the microphone and started moving back and forth across the platform. He came to us for a purpose. We had something he wanted. Well not something...someone. His voice. I had heard it so many times before.
"Don't be coy." He uttered. "I know you know who you are. Come down here and face me."
I sunk down in my seat.
"Fine. I'll call to you. Annabelle."
That moment I severely regretted not going to a larger school. I couldn't hide from him. I never could hide from him, but before that day I always got away. I'd wake up or fall asleep. Depending on if it was a nightmare or a waking terror. This time he was real, and yet as I met him in the flesh I felt no fear. He noticed too.
"You're too much awake. Better change that."
Then something covered my whole frame. I couldn't breathe or see. I thought I was going to die, and maybe I did for a moment. When I came to gasping for breath, my classmates were no longer around me. Instead, I was in front of a much larger crowd, in a much more beautiful place. I went from an ugly ordinary room, in front of 3 hundred, to a gorgeous, enormous place in front of about 3 million. What was I to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment