Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Lesson that lasted until Day

"Alright, I'm ready. What do have to teach me."
The Gray man smiled.
"First of all you need to start observing things closer. You act as though you don't know who your subjects are when I've already told you. At your coronation, I informed you of your realm. You are the Princess of Souls. That's my people and all of the other servants of the great castles."
"So like all four of you?"
The Gray man frowns.
"The Castle is full of thousands upon thousands of the finest servants that ever lived."
"Well, where are they?" I laughed as I asked.
"They are all over the castle. The finest servants are unseen."
"There is a difference between unseen and invisible." Commented the oldest lady in waiting.
My three ladies hair is now white and their dresses a light yellow gold.
"You can turn invisible. Can't you?" I asked in earnest.
"All ghosts can."
I involuntarily gasp.
"Quite. Now that's clear, let's continue. You're the Grand Duchess of the seas."
"Where the mermaids are."
"Mer-people. Don't forget the men folk, and the sea serpents."
I nod. Part of me really wants to believe all this is true. Who doesn't want to live in a magical world? However, the other part of me wants to remain skeptical in case this is all a big joke on me. That it's some kind of new reality TV show. Mr. Gray continues.
"As the Queen of the children, you are the sovereign ruler of this country. No where in the world is your power more absolute than it is here." He points to the south western corner of the continent.  "The children cannot protect themselves. They are totally reliant upon you. The other countries are under your dominion, but they require a firm hand to keep in check. The Fay folk will abandon you if they think you don't hold the light." He points to a large forest to the north. "On the other hand, the darkling people will not heed you if you glow so bright that you will not speak to them." He gestures to a nearly barren land even farther north. "Likewise the dwarves are stubborn and unwilling to even receive word from a ruler they do not respect." He taps the top of the miniature mountains. "The Daimyo's of the north east have the league of dragons at their disposal, and the hidden mirror land reflects the confines of your heart. That's scary business. Even our close ally in the south east is wedged between the plain of monsters and the city of thieves."
"What can I do all about this tonight?" I questioned
"Merely, touch the map, and set the mood for diplomacy."
Literally? How did touching the map help? I gaze down at it. The closer I look, the more details I see. The Enchanted forest where the Fay live is gorgeous. It shimmers with magic. A long river runs through it, and all the way down into my country. I place my left fist to my mouth. I breathe into it all my love for beauty, magic and whimsy. I open that hand and touch its place on the map. The Enchanted Forest on the map glows pink. Mr. Gray gives an approving nod. He stays with me all through the night. I even send good will to the thieves, and the isolated shape shifters of the north. Outside, the sky is brightening in the light of pre-dawn. I asked him if there was anything else that urgently needed to be done. He answered.
"Keep the prison locked. Don't let Jubal out. Not for anything."
"Who's Jubal?" I asked. (I asked him so many questions.)
"Jubal, is the man in black, and I am Grayson by the way."




No comments:

Post a Comment