Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Delivery Day

The candles on the candelabra smoldered. Their once ivory wax was now a venomous purple. Grayson placed them back to where they were. He cooed over them. Telling them that they would heal. (Apparently, candles heal here.) He had released his grip on me, but never the less he urged me onward, up out of the cellars. I kept close to him, because without him, I had no idea how I'd find my way out of the twists and turns.
"Is there something else your majesty requires of me?" Asked Grayson.
"I'm following you out of here. I'm lost without you."
"Did you learn nothing from Jubal?"
"You didn't give me a chance to learn anything!"
Grayson stopped. I could discern great bags of worry beneath his eyes. It seemed that something much greater than butler duties weighed on his heart.
"Ma'am, if you do not remember your authority soon then Jubal will be released. If that happens... God help us all."
His severe earnestness hit me hard. It must be truly important, but how can I know stuff I don't know? I never went to school for this. I don't recall having supernatural royal parents. I ended up asking Minkyoung if their was such a thing as the best ghost therapist to help me recall suppressed memories. She found that very amusing. Doctors and the like do serve, but they seldom become ghosts here. In this world no one is ever sick. There is no need for there services.
"I suppose if they do come to this realm they come in some other form." I muttered.
Minkyoung shimmered at these words, and Grayson was much perkier for the rest of the week. Sadly, this did not last. Mid way through that following week Grayson delivered me urgent news.
"I have received word from the Darkling Kingdom. Their King 'regretfully' demands that, due to your impaired mental capacity, your adviser must be set in place. You are to comply with his wishes or it is to be war."
"And my adviser is to be Jubal."
Grayson wiped ghostly sweat from his brow. He placed his frilly handkerchief in his breast pocket and looked into my eyes.
"If only you could have realized that sooner."

No comments:

Post a Comment