Thursday, June 13, 2013

Wandering Day

After the coronation everyone left. No gray old man. No children. No young people. I was left all alone. I had no idea what to do. So did what I wanted. I explored! I figured the place must have been a castle. I found armories, and galleries. I found columned halls, and sitting rooms. I discovered secret passage ways, and crooked staircases, grand ballrooms, towers, tunnels, and one great Library. However, I did not find one single person. This was very bizarre to me, because everywhere I went was perfectly clean. It had no sign of dust or disrepair. Somebody had to keep this place sparkling.  After hours of searching, I grew thirsty and tired. I said to the castle, "Do you have any drinking fountains?" Lo and behold, a beautiful blond woman appeared. She offered me a crystal chalice filled with water. Her lips were as red as her deep red dress. Instead of taking the water, I bombarded her with questions. Surely she knew something about the place, or why I was there. She shook her flat curls, and said, " I  came to give you a drink you majesty."
I continued to question her, but all I learned that she and her two sisters lived to serve me. I asked her to bring me to her sisters. I thought they might know more. The woman took my hand gently, but swiftly guided me back the way I came. She lead to a room not far behind the balcony. It was a bedroom suite. The room was large, and that's an understatement. The ceiling was 18 feet high up at least. The four poster canopy bed was much larger than a King size, and yet despite its size it did not crowd the room. There was plenty of space between it es on and the dining table that seated six, the wardrobe, and the bookcase that went half way up to the ceiling. The book case was a sad sight. It had no books. I found that more disturbing then the framthe walls that held no images. I asked the woman where her sisters were, and they appeared, standing in the archway to the adjoining suite room. They were beautiful and blond like their sister. Also like their sister they knew nothing about anything. Not even where they were born or their own names. They offered me food, and the use of the suite. They told me it was mine, and no they didn't know how they knew. I felt so sleepy, I had no trouble falling asleep in that enormous bed. When I awoke, hours later, the women were gone. I called out for them and again in an instant they appeared. This time their hair was honey colored and their dresses peach. I asked them if they could find me some walking clothes. They nodded and pulled clothes from the wardrobe. I took off the torn white gown and dressed into the green blouse and brown trousers they offered me. They gave me exactly the sort of clothes I wanted. They really were good at taking care of me, but they had no answers for me. I knew what I had to do. I had to leave the way I saw the people leave earlier that day. The sun was setting outside, but I didn't care. I went down the steps by the balcony, and across that colossal room to the enormous wood and iron doors. Not only were they too large for me to open alone, but I saw that they were locked a hundred times over. A Queen locked in her own castle I whispered to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment