Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Day that Ended

It was relieving to have Jubal with me. Not only did he answer my questions, but he ran everything for me. I didn't have to lift a finger. It was so much fun watching plays in the Castle Theatre. I watched Hamlet with actual ghosts. I was in a right bright mood when I came across Jubal outside the Library's second floor entrance.
"Jubal! It's good to see you. I wanted to thank you for the past few days. It's been so much fun."
"Fun is fun, but do you know what is better?" He asked.
"Tell me, oh advisor."
"Work accomplished. Of course, I save all of that for myself. We should step outside. I want to show you all the good work I've been doing."
"Oh your work in the city? Yes, I've heard tell of it. The ghosts are so much more sociable since you've come. I understand you've added some statues. I look forward to seeing them."
"Let's see them now."
I glanced out the large paned glass window. The sun is starting to set. I sucked in my lips and looked back at Jubal.
"I'm afraid it is dusk, and against the rules to go out at night. I wouldn't want to break security protocol."
"It's against the rules to open the great door at night, but there is another way outside. If we take that exit we won't be breaking the rules."
"I'm fairly certain we must remain on castle grounds." I argued.
"This way is still part of the castle. It's on a balcony."
I couldn't really argue with him. I couldn't argue with anyone for long. Jubal guided me across an invisible walkway above the great door. It was amazing to cross. Upon close  inspection I could see that it wasn't invisible at all. It was instead perfectly camouflaged. In the middle of the walk Jubal undid a clasp in the window, from there we stepped out onto the balcony. The city was lovely in the light of the setting sun. I shifted on my feet. It didn't seem right to be out this close to night. Jubal outstretched his arm out toward a new statue. (He stretched it longer than any mortal man.)
"There, beyond that house in that little square that is the nearest statue to the castle."
"Who's it a statue of? I don't recognize the person."
"Why it is you my Princess."
"Eek, I didn't know I looked like that."
"It is your best likeness."
I shake my head. "I hope not. What's the point of them? I don't want statues of me ugly or pretty."
"I can have them removed as you like, but not until they have served their purpose this night."
"Night. Yes, it is nearly night. I must go inside. I don't want to risk my people. Thanks for showing me the balcony and everything."
I felt Jubal's mighty grasp on my shoulder. His hands were like pinchers. A sharp pain reverberated through my body. Tears began to drop from my eyes, but it hurt too much to scream.
"I want you to see Princess. I want you to look to the statues. Observe the houses around them. What do they all have in common?"
The shadows grew longer and longer as the sun dipped lower and lower. My eyes strained to see the squares that held the statues. The houses... they all had balconies, and on the balconies were little children. Jubal explained.
"You see children always find loopholes. They are not smart enough to live by wisdom, but oh do they follow by example."
The last bit of sunshine slipped over the horizon, and the children remained on their balconies. The nearest one's waved at me. I couldn't call out to them. I was numb. If I could I would have told them to run. I would have told them to lock themselves inside, but I couldn't do anything. I just watched, but I before that I heard. I heard the howls of the darkling army. In my mind, I tried to tell myself that no one ever dies, and that there was nothing to fear, but I was afraid, and I knew what was coming. Ghoulish creatures fast and foul landed upon each statue in the city. One by one, I saw the children perish. The screams were terrible, but they were not from the children. They disintegrated before they could let out their cry. No, it was the creatures wretched screams of delight, and anguish.
 "Listen to that little Princess. They hope so much for blood,for young fresh blood. They never succeed. The children's defense mechanisms save them, but I warned them of that when I made this deal with them." He laughs. "I can tell by that wide eyed look you're surprised. Don't be. I had to pacify the darkling nation for you. It was my duty. Now watch as they have their fun."

No comments:

Post a Comment