Wednesday, June 12, 2013

An Unordinary Day

There I was standing on a balcony, overlooking a massive sea of people in the room below. I turned to flee the scene, because obviously I had nothing to say to them. I didn't even know who they were. Goodness, I didn't even know why I was there! Then I saw the man in black block my path. He asked me, "Don't you want to greet your people?" My stomach turned. "You know this place. It's the place you used to dream about. It is the place you used to believe was real."
I looked at him, and tried to wish him away, but he was just as solid as he was at School. I faced the people again, and placed my hands on the banister. My eyes scanned over dozens of faces. They were such young faces. Their eyes were so full of hope. They waited for me to speak. It was at this moment I realized my clothes had been changed. Instead of my school-day clothes, I was wearing a white gown. Who was I to these people? I look back again to the man. He frowns and pushes me aside. He shouted out to the people.
"It seems the lady is having difficulty recognizing her place with us. Shall I help her remember?"
"Yes!" Cheered the crowd.
At that word, he snatched me up, and held me over his head, before hurtling me at the crowd below. I had no time to think. In seconds, I would have been smashed upon impact on the floor below, but that didn't happen. An instinct took over, and instead of crashing, I flew. The whole back of my gown had ripped out to make way for white feathery wings. The people oohed as I swooped around the room. I couldn't help, but laugh. I had never felt so happy. I felt like flying forever, but fatigue took hold, and I made my way back to the balcony. I landed atop the banister. I was fully confident that even if I fell off of it my wings would save me. I smiled and waved at the people. I was happy that I made them happy. My wings had folded up and evaporated into my back. I hopped back onto the balcony floor. The man was still there. He was now furious and bleeding from his right hand. Concerned, I asked him if I had done anything wrong? He replied, "You did what had to be done, but don't think I am grateful."
Six foggy figures appeared and wrapped themselves around the man in black. In moments, he vanished into the mist. The crowd erupted in cheers. It was overwhelming, before I knew it an old gray man was placing a diadem on my head. He declared, "All hail the Princess of souls, the grand duchess of the seas, the Queen of the children, and the Empress of the lands."
I swore no oath that day. I gave no promise. I didn't even claim to desire those heavy titles. However, some gifts cannot be refused.

No comments:

Post a Comment