Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Ohborn Castle Pt. Five A conversation with Claude


“After all my years of study and debate, I learned that I still loved to make art, but that I didn't need to follow The Artist to make art.” Explained Eric to his friend.

“That's obvious.” Muttered Claude.

“It isn't when you're in it. The whole world outside Ohborn is the enemy. That includes the art institute. I came from The Group of The Artist. They practice primitive artistry to an extent. As much as it conveniences them.”

“I've heard of them. They are not thought well of in France.”

“So I've heard. The truth of the image can never be fully known. There is no measurable way to discern who had the light alight within them and who doesn't. I think that is a fundamental flaw in the system. Several have tried to fix it with their various tekonlologies, but it can't be done, because it can't be known. Where as good art verses bad art can be known.”

“There you are wrong. Art is subjective.”

“No it is not.”

“Yes it is. What is good to you may not be good for me.”

“Some art just sucks and you know it.”

“I don't know it. If I was so certain I would be able to believe in The Artist.”

“The Artist does not walk this Earth. He's not tangible. A sucky piece of artwork can honestly be evaluated.”

“But there can never be a universal agreement.”

“That's why the institute was started, and see how well they did.”

“Exactly. Somebody will always disagree and they could be right.”

“The world's not full of infinite possibilities.”

“Who are you to judge?”

“Reason is my judge. Reality is everybody's judge. Like I said about the Group of Artistry, it places such emphasis on the manuscript’s validity. When with any historical textual criticism one can easily see it's holes and falsehoods. It's odd to think that studying with them ultimately lead me away from them. You see the manuscript can be known, and it is false. It's the cornerstone of the idea of artistry. It holds the weight of the whole thing. Take that away and it would fall down for anyone. Anyone that pays attention that is.”

“Many American's don't. You are an exception.”

“I'm not an American. I was born in the next town over.”

No comments:

Post a Comment